Saturday, June 04, 2011

Knitted Gift for Mom (or Dad if They Weren't So Very Purple)

Here's what my mom got for Mother's Day this year
Golf Club Head Covers!  Not new golf clubs.  I love my mom and all, but I really can't afford that.

Now I just need to find a way to masculinize these for my dad or FIL for Father's Day.  I'm sure it would include a lot less fluff and less vibrant colors... we'll see if I can pull it off.  I got the pattern from my awesome Aunt Maureen and you can find it at the bottom of this post.  It is super easy!  Here is a close up of all that fluffy goodness

And here are the yarns I used

For the top, I mixed 2 yarns: a worsted weight yarn in purple and Yarn Bee Haute Fur in Grape to make sure that the golf clubs wouldn't get damaged as my mom is zipping around in her golf cart... I fear for my life and wish the cart came equipped with an air bag when I ride along with her.  Really. 

For the ribbing on the bottom Simply Soft Paints yarn in Harlequin.  Here's one more look

They are on my husband's clubs in these pics, but they fit perfectly on my mom's clubs too (which are ginormous).  Let me know if you try this for your dad!  I'd love to see what people come up with.  And here are the patterns I used:

GOLF HEAD COVERS
DRIVER – FINISHED LENGTH - 15 TO 16 INCHES
                CAST ON 26 STITCHES/SIZE 9 NEEDLES
                K2, P2 ACROSS (RIGHT SIDE) TURN
                P2, K2 ACROSS
                CONTINUE PATTERN FOR 8 OR 9 INCHES.
                THIS COMPLETES THE RIBBED LOWER PART OF COVER.
                HEAD AREA:
                CHANGE NEEDLES TO SIZE 10
                ALTERNATE A KNIT ROW AND THEN A PURL ROW
                KNIT THIS PATTERN FOR 7 INCHES

                FINISHING:
                ALLOW ENOUGH YARN TO DRAW THROUGH THE TOP AND SEAM THE
                LENGTH OF THE COVER.  CUT THE ALLOWED YARN
                WITH A DARNING NEEDLE PULL YARN BACK THROUGH STITCHES ON THE NEEDLE,
                PULL YARN UP TIGHT TO FORM TOP OF COVER.
                AND THEN WORKING FROM THE INSIDE, SEAM THE COVER.  MOST OFTEN I ALLOW THE SEAM    AT THE BOTTOM TO BE UNFINISHED FOR ABOUT ½ INCH.

                FINISH OFF ALL LOOSE YARN ENDS BY WEAVING BACK INTO KNITTED AREA.

THREE WOOD - FINISHED LENGTH - 13 INCHES
                CAST ON 24 STITCHES/SIZE 9 NEEDLES
                SAME PATTERN AS ABOVE FOR RIBBED AREA/CONTINUE FOR 7 INCHES
                HEAD AREA/FOLLOW ABOVE PATTERN FOR 6 INCHES.   

FIVE WOOD - FINISHED LENGTH - 12 INCHES
                CAST ON 22 STITCHES/SIZE 9 NEEDLES
                SAME PATTERN AS ABOVE FOR RIBBED AREA/CONTINUE FOR 7 INCHES
                HEAD AREA/FOLLOW ABOVE PATTERN FOR 5 INCHES

SEVEN WOOD - FINISHED LENGTH - 11 INCHES
                BOTTOM/ 6 INCHES
                TOP/ 5 INCHES

HYBRID - FINISHED LENGTH - 10 INCHES
                CAST ON 22 STITCHES
                BOTTOM/ 6 INCHES
                TOP/ 4 INCHES - DO NOT CHANGE NEEDLES, USE SIZE 9


Happy knitting!
Blessings,
Jamie

PS, If you want to follow TCI on Facebook, look The Creative Imperative up or click here The Creative Imperative on Facebook

9 comments:

  1. they are beautiful. one day I will knit, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so fun and exotic looking! Like your mom is carting around a bag full of tropical birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom would love something like this. She started taking golf lessons and is in the market for clubs.Sort of with I could knit. They look so pretty, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your site. I LOVE the head covers. But I don't think I can do it. Would you consider knitting them for me??? How much yarn (skeins, I believe) and what weight did you use??? And about how much did it cost?? Golf season starts in October and I want to WOW my friends. Anxious to hear from you. Ilonashorb@yahoo.com. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correct email. Ilonashorb. (Lower case I (eye). Then l (Elle). Confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have the pattern for these head covers? I have a friend who will knit them for me but I think she might need a pattern. My email address is sbbgolf@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi my name is fay and i have just finished my first golf cover, l tried a couple of other patterns on utube but yours was the easiest and the lovelyest so l am very happy will be making the whole set cheers fay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my name is Fay thank you so much for your golf cover patterns l have made 3 sets for xmas gifts and they are so easy just love making them. From Fay fifionline@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, my name is Joan. I’m in England and wonder if the needle sizes are US or UK and also what weight is the wool, ie Aran?
    If you have a pattern please could you email it to me. My address is joanandjim@yahoo.co.uk.
    Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...