Friday, July 08, 2011

Rockin' Floor Pillows

My kids LOVE these!  Little ones have a way of knowing when something is made just for them.

You can see the shape has become a little warped over time, but it's because of all the use the pillows have gotten.  I think if I give them a little extra stuffing, they'll be just fine.

I found the tutorial over at Living With Punks.  It is an amazing and super detailed tute; Living with Punks is one of my favorite sewing blogs.  This is the pic that sold me on the project
What a cutie!  My little girl does the same thing with ours.  The handles are definitely the best feature.

There are a few things I changed from the tutorial.  I made the height of the pillow a few inches shorter because my little people are still pretty short.  I wanted them to be able to plop down on them easily.

Also, I decided to use this insanely thick welting.
I had been eyeing the welting at Hobby Lobby for a while and finally found a project for it.  This made the sewing a little more difficult, but I think it was worth it.

I wanted to bring in some of this fabric I had left over from my throw pillows

Mixing the upholstery fabric with the cheap purple Walmart fabric and the old stripey curtain fabric made things a little wonky too, but overall I'm happy with the way they turned out.

They're perfect for drumming

Snacking

Leapstering

Or general loafing

I think my favorite part was letting our 3 year old help stuff them.  I took apart the old pillows that came with our sofa and used the stuffing for the floor pillows.  He loved unstuffing and restuffing!
Taking his job very seriously.

This was my first project using appliques... it isn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be!  Thank God for online tutorials.  I used Wonder Under as an adhesive and then did a really tight zigzag stitch around the edges of each letter
The stitching got a little w-w-wobbly there, but I'm OK with it.  I'm a recovering perfectionist and I consider posting pics of sub par stitching therapy for me.  Thanks for helping me on my road to recovery!

So glad you took the time to stop by.  Let me know if you make these for your kiddos!
Blessings,
Jamie
This post is featured here
freckled laundry

Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy

Photobucket" />

46 comments:

  1. Great project! I'm your newest follower. Stop on by if you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I like that they are for the little ones but still coordinate with your decor =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I've got to try that tutorial. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love the floor pillows! great colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I'm LOVING these!!! I will so be making some of these :D Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! Your applique looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see nothing sub-par about your project! I see kids having fun using what you created! There is nothing sub-par about that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful! And they look like the perfect size. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job... Your pillows turned out awesome and they are the perfect size for your kiddo's! Thanks for sharing... stopped by from "Think Pink Sundays". AJ

    queenofmynest(at)gmail(dot)com
    queenofmymest(dot)blogspot(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful job - i found you at Think Pink and i am in LOVE! these are going on our idea boards for the kids rooms once we move this fall! thank you! brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love these! They are so cute!! I am visiting from Craft-O-Maniac and I am a new follower!!
    Hope you had a great weekend and that I will see you at my blog soon!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made some of these floor cushions too following the same tutorial! I love the welting and the applique is AWESOME! I can't seem to make those tight curves without going way off course, I don't even see any mistakes in yours. Stopping by from Craft-o-maniac. And I am a recovering perfectionist too. I fall off the wagon quite a bit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous pillows! I'm so going to make these. Thanks for the links. Especially love the snap of your son stuffing his pillow. Happy Monday! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are adorable! Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are awesome. What a great project! I'm definitely pinning this to come back and be inspired by later.

    I found you through the Naptime Crafters link party and am your newest follower. Come check me out, too, if you're interested --> Carissa's Creativity Space

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not only a great idea for the kids but so cute too! Thanks for linking up at last week's BFF Open House! These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are not only perfect for little ones, but they are beautiful! Great job. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As much as I love this project I would have avoided it because of my fear of getting it crooked. Since you mentioned you are a recovering perfectionist, i have been inspired not to worry about getting this perfect. I think I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are super cute! May have to make a few of these for my kiddos! New follower from Sew Can Do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO super cute! I love the colors you chose for the pillows! and the mix of patterns and textures makes them so fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! They look so well made. What a great job you did. I too bookmarked this project from living with punks...only difference, you actually got around to doing it!!! :)

    Rachel
    httt://www.holy-craft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really great, they look really pro! I'm heading over to check out the tutorial now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been wanting to do this for ages, but have just one question: Did you make the covers removable at all? I've seen SO many people all over the blogosphere make these, but I always wonder how to best clean them??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love those! I also like Living with Punks. Thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made these as Christmas gifts for my boys last year. They get SO much use! Love how tailored looking yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job! I think the monogram is a perfect touch. I've made a couple of these floor cushions, too and they are some of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so cute, knowing me I'd probably trip over them! I'd love it if you shared them with WorkShop Wednesday. They would be a great addition to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice! Perfect for kiddos and kids at heart. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rockin' floor pillows are excellent for little people, and they turned out fantastic! A lovely addition to any room.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This are super cute! Great job on them! Great blog, I'm a new follower!



    http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those are adorable! I must make a few. Thank you for sharing with air your laundry Friday! xo Jami

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing!! I'm featuring you tomorrow at naptimecrafters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. REALLY cool floor pillows. I'm not sure if my stitching is up to that yet - but I'd love to give it a go some time! :)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. How cute! I really love them. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you so much for linking up to my Tuesday Confessional link party. You were featured so grab a button and get your brag on! http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-kid-friendly-posts.html.
    I can't wait to see what you come up with for this week's party!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi I featured this for WorkShop Wednesday. Thanks for linking to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are really cute pillows. Plus, they provide comfort and cushion, especially for kids. These can be ideal kids floor pillows. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  38. so cute! Thanks for linking this up to the Sunday Showcase - can't wait to see what other fun ideas you link up this week! See you tonight for an all new linky party!!

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  39. They are really superb cushions for floor as they looks very bright and cheerful additions to home.
    Thanks for share!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...